Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced her abdication in favour of her son Prince Willem-Alexander.
The oldest reigning monarch in Dutch history, Beatrix will turn 75 in a few days time.
She was crowned in 1980 and is the sixth monarch of the House of Orange.
Dutch opinion polls showed that, while Beatrix remained popular, the majority believed she should step aside for Prince Willem-Alexander, aged 45.
Although there is no requirement for a Dutch monarch to abdicate at a certain age, it has been a tradition in the House of Orange.
Beatrix became queen when her mother Queen Juliana chose to step down in her favour.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 11:22 CET Iran is complying with nuclear deal with powers – IAEA
- 11:20 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.- Japan summit
- 10:39 CET India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining…
- 10:27 CET Japan makes two more oil payments to Iran – sources
- 10:04 CET Chinese police shoot man dead at checkpoint in Xinjiang
- 07:35 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident
- 07:06 CET Reports of e-cigarette injury jump amid rising popularity, …
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown