Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentas’s trial has started in Madrid in a doping case set to rock cycling. It has reached court nearly seven years after police raided offices of the doctor and seized around 200 bags of blood linked to a number of top cyclists.
He is charged with breaking public health laws as Spain had no anti-doping law at the time of his arrest.
Operation Puerto as it was known uncovered what one cyclist called a “treasure trove” of evidence. The blood or frozen plasma was allegedly used in a sophisticated doping programme to boost the cyclists’ red blood cell count and so enhance their performance.
Five other defendants are on trial including the sister of Dr. Fuentas.
Former Tour de France winner Alberto Contador is one of more than 50 cyclists who was implicated in the case. He is expected to give evidence.
It has been claimed the bags of blood also related to athletes from other sports.
The trial is expected to last until mid-March
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 5European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
Wires > News
- 08:20 CET In Cairo, one family’s story shows rise of radical threat
- 06:33 CET China Communist Party mouthpiece demands “rectification” of…
- 06:12 CET Obama wraps up Japan visit after security pledge but no trade deal
- 05:46 CET Obama warns North Korea on nuclear test – South Korean media
- 05:41 CET Exclusive – Obama may call EU leaders in Russia sanctions push…
- 04:35 CET Witnesses in U.S. Army hearing call 2007 Iraq shootings unjustified
- 03:07 CET California school bus crash injures driver, 11 children
- 01:12 CET Japan says no trade deal with U.S. as Obama prepares to depart