Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentas’s trial has started in Madrid in a doping case set to rock cycling. It has reached court nearly seven years after police raided offices of the doctor and seized around 200 bags of blood linked to a number of top cyclists.
He is charged with breaking public health laws as Spain had no anti-doping law at the time of his arrest.
Operation Puerto as it was known uncovered what one cyclist called a “treasure trove” of evidence. The blood or frozen plasma was allegedly used in a sophisticated doping programme to boost the cyclists’ red blood cell count and so enhance their performance.
Five other defendants are on trial including the sister of Dr. Fuentas.
Former Tour de France winner Alberto Contador is one of more than 50 cyclists who was implicated in the case. He is expected to give evidence.
It has been claimed the bags of blood also related to athletes from other sports.
The trial is expected to last until mid-March
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 4Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 5Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 17:19 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 16:18 CET EU’s Ashton visits Iran for first time; nuclear issue on agenda
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt