Moving down the coast of New South Wales,
extreme weather conditions are still causing misery in eastern Australia.
Two thousand, five hundred people have been evacuated in the New South Wales city of Grafton and more than 1,000 people have been rescued by helicopter across neighbouring state Queensland, with the city of Bundaberg experiencing severe flooding.
“Well, this is the flood record for Grafton. It has never been in recorded history this high,” said Commissioner Murray Kear from the State Emergency Service.
“I think you’d have to go back to the 1890s to actually get a flood that’s around a 7.7 metre mark. So now nearly 8.1 is the largest flood that Grafton has ever seen,” he added.
The extreme weather system across eastern Australia is caused by the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald which began in the Gulf of Carpentaria near northern Australia 11 days ago.
This time, flooding is not as bad as it was in 2010-2011, when 35 people lost their lives and 30,000 properties were destroyed or damaged.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people…
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest