The people of the Netherlands are taking in the idea that their queen who has reigned for 33 years is to abdicate.
The announcement by Queen Beatrix, who will be 75 this Thursday, was broadcast on Monday.
She said it was time for responsibility to be entrusted with a new generation.
Unlike in Britain, Dutch monarchs have a tradition of stepping aside, but many people will take a while to get used to the change.
“I’ve come to know her as my queen. And I’ve always been quite proud of our royal family,” said one young woman.
“It’s a bit weird. She’s, you know, my queen. Things will be different, but I don’t know how,” said another.
A young man said: “I hope she gets to enjoy herself a bit. That she can pay more attention to her children, and of course to Friso.”
The queen’s middle son has been in a coma since a skiing accident in 2012.
Beatrix’s eldest son, Prince Willem-Alexander, will take over the largely ceremonial role of monarch on April 30 – Queen’s Day in the Netherlands.
At 45, he has overcome some image problems and has been groomed for decades to become king. In the words of his mother, he and Princess Maxima are entirely ready for their future tasks.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 22:34 CET Sudanese militants kill two, kidnap three at oil field
- 22:31 CET Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
- 22:15 CET Iran slams U.S. justice verdict on Manhattan skyscraper
- 21:52 CET U.N. envoy say Israel tried to bar him from pre-Easter rites
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status