Following weeks of mass demonstrations both for and against legalising gay marriage and adoptions, the French parliament has started debating the proposed legislation.
The lawmakers, like the public, are sharply divided.
Justice Minister Christine Taubira got straight to perhaps the most polarising issue:
“Homosexual couples will have the same adoption rights as heterosexual couples,” Taubira said.
Her statement was met with energetic applause by many of her colleagues and stony silence from others.
Civil unions exist under French law, but legalising same-sex marriages and adoptions, a campaign promise of President François Hollande, has sparked fierce protests.
Thousands have taken to the streets to protest against it, while huge numbers have also taken to the streets to support it.
Organisers estimated that 400,000 people attended a Paris rally on Sunday in favour of legalising gay marriage.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Mystery in the heart of Paris as cocaine stash goes missing from police HQ
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 4Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 5EU targets top Russian officials in new sanctions
Wires > News
- 07:33 CET Factory blast in east China kills at least 65 – state TV
- 05:12 CET Bible left in North Korean sailor’s club triggered U.S. tourist’s…
- 04:50 CET Australia sends 157 asylum seekers to Nauru detention centre
- 01:02 CET NATO must change to better repel Russian threat – Cameron
- 22:40 CET African leaders agree steps to fight runaway Ebola outbreak
- 22:36 CET Obama says that after 9/11, ‘we tortured some folks’
- 21:35 CET North Korea accuses U.N. Security Council of double standards
- 20:24 CET Ten killed in clashes between Azeris, ethnic Armenians