Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 4Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 21:09 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 21:05 CET Syrian opposition accuses Assad’s forces of new poison gas attack
- 21:04 CET Algerian police break up anti-government protest before election
- 20:34 CET Iranian negotiators reject hardline criticism of nuclear talks
- 18:55 CET 22 reported killed in clashes over Central African Republic town
- 18:48 CET India’s Modi says committed to no first use of nuclear weapons
- 18:26 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 18:14 CET Abductors of Nigerian schoolgirls pretended to be soldiers -…