Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Keep fighting’, Klitschko fiancée Hayden Panettiere tells Ukraine rally
- 2Video of Paul Walker’s crash emerges
- 3Possible Ukraine-Russia customs union provokes fresh protests in Kyiv
- 4‘Reverse apartheid’: South Africa’s white slums
- 5‘Counter demonstration’ in Kyiv as pro-Yanukovych supporters rally outside parliament
- 11:14 CET China expresses regret over S. Korea air defence zone
- 10:46 CET Syrian army retakes road needed to ship out chemical weapons
- 10:44 CET Egypt recovers looted pharaonic statue
- 10:17 CET China paves way for trial of prominent anti-graft activist
- 09:54 CET Pentagon chief Hagel in Pakistan for talks on security, drones
- 09:17 CET Japan PM Abe’s ratings slide after state secrets act
- 07:54 CET Analysis – ‘Brussels consensus’ widens gulf with EU electorates
- 07:35 CET Kurdish militants free 4 abducted Turkish soldiers