Italy’s coast guard service has been looking for a missing F-16 US fighter jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
Italian and US aircraft are also involved in the search for the jet and its pilot, believed to have been the only person aboard.
Air traffic control lost contact with the F-16 on Monday evening, but fog and darkness hampered the search.
The US military said the plane took off from Italy’s Aviano air base on a training mission over the Adriatic Sea.
Italian media has reported that a fishing boat picked up some pieces of debris that could be parts of a US Air Force plane.
Aviano is the base for the 31st Fighter Wing. The US Air Force said a board of officers would investigate the incident.
“Wing leadership remains hopeful that we will safely rescue our pilot,” an Air Force statement said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut
- 2EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president
- 3Ukraine: Mariupol digs trenches, prepares to defend city
- 4Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 2Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 3NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 4Obama backs claims of Russian troops in Ukraine
- 5[As it happened] Newsday: Ukraine – Russia – NATO – Syria – Ebola
- 1Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 2Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 3Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 7Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 10Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 11Banking for everyone: Africa’s next big challenge | euronews, focus
- 12Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 13Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 14Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 15Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 16Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 17No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 18Spain treats Europe’s first case of Ebola | euronews, world news
- 19Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 20Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:16 CET Lesotho PM says army staged coup, flees to South Africa
- 01:03 CET Seriously ill boy taken from UK hospital found in Spain – police
- 00:14 CET Islamic State militants behead captive Lebanese soldier – video
- 00:05 CET Philippine peacekeepers rescued from militants on Golan – U.N.
- 23:25 CET Modi seeks Japan’s help for ‘inclusive vision’ on first big trip
- 23:21 CET 22 miners rescued from Nicaragua gold mine after landslide
- 22:59 CET Obama, Harper discuss NATO summit, Iraq in phone call – White House
- 22:00 CET Bahrain detains Shi’ite rights activist on arrival at airport