Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 03:22 CET Predator Villa waiting in the wings for Atletico
- 03:19 CET Perfectionist Guardiola unsatisfied with 6-1 win
- 03:18 CET Barca, Bayern cast huge shadow over English opponents
- 02:15 CET Woods back problems could cause Masters rethink
- 00:23 CET Juve on course for hat-trick of Serie A titles
- 00:21 CET Hadley survives late Lee charge for PGA Tour win
- 23:20 CET Barcelona suffer shock defeat, Man City out of FA Cup
- 22:31 CET Fraser-Pryce triumphs, U.S. men set relay record