Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 01:02 CET British number one Robson to miss Wimbledon, French Open
- 00:56 CET Kuchar shrugs off Masters fade, ties Heritage lead
- 00:00 CET Everton keeper Howard extends contract until 2018
- 22:51 CET Murders soar in Brazil World Cup city during police strike
- 21:31 CET Formula One drivers in talks to resolve pay disputes
- 21:23 CET Barca’s Neymar and Alba out for up to a month
- 20:12 CET Rosberg to clear air with Hamilton before China GP
- 19:11 CET Bayern’s Neuer expects to be fit for Real semi-final