Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 11:55 CET South Africa opt for unchanged squad v Zimbabwe
- 11:31 CET ICC bans Moeen Ali from wearing ‘Save Gaza’ wristbands
- 10:26 CET Waratahs have seized their destiny – Cheika
- 10:19 CET Shaw made to train alone as not fit enough for Van Gaal
- 09:42 CET De Vrij heads to Lazio as Feyenoord sale continues
- 09:07 CET Waratahs unchanged for Super Rugby final against Crusaders
- 08:56 CET Puma says World Cup sales beat its expectations
- 08:07 CET Lippi confident of Asian title defence for Guangzhou