Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 06:57 CET Mexico’s Marquez bows out of Libertadores Cup with red card
- 03:19 CET Analysis – United must move fast with vital window looming
- 02:03 CET Real’s Bale a doubt for Bayern game with illness – reports
- 01:33 CET Mourinho’s cautious Chelsea frustrate Atletico
- 00:59 CET Chelsea have Champions League advantage, Simeone concedes
- 00:54 CET Cech, Terry to miss rest of Premier League season
- 00:53 CET World Cup test event to go ahead with reduced crowd
- 23:51 CET Leicester seal second-tier title with win at Bolton