Thousands of screaming Malian fans flooded the streets of Bamako on Monday to celebrate after their national side drew 1-1 against Congo to reach the quarter finals of the African Cup of Nations.
After a furious start to the match, former Monaco striker Dieumerci Mbokani put the Leopards in front in the second minute with a calmly taken penalty, only for Mahamadou Samassa to draw the sides level 10 minutes later.
With Ghana downing Niger in Port Elizabeth to top Group B, The draw meant Mali finished with four points and they will next lock horns with hosts South Africa on Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 16:58 CET England’s Buttler to make test debut v India
- 16:31 CET Dunga succeeds Scolari as Brazil manager
- 15:19 CET PSG punished after Chelsea disabled fans threatened, insulted
- 15:16 CET FA chairman backs manager Hodgson despite World Cup flop
- 14:54 CET Sharks seek repeat success in Christchurch graveyard
- 14:50 CET English FA keeps up pressure on FIFA over Qatar
- 14:35 CET Real Madrid sign Colombian Rodriguez
- 14:00 CET Juve new signing Morata out for seven weeks