Many of the 11 million illegal immigrants living in the US are hoping the president’s speech on immigration reform will give them a better chance of citizenship.
Obama has his own blueprint for immigration reform, but he is expected to back another slightly different one put together by a bipartisan group of senators, which is to be “largely consistent” with the president’s plan.
Speaking from a Las Vegas high school on Tuesday around 11.15 local time, Obama will talk about an issue that led to one of the biggest re-election promises.
“It’s an opportunity for all of us, I really hope the president keeps his promise and lays out a plan,” said one man close to the San Ysidro port of entry in San Diego, California.
“It’s great if we all can be here, but laws on this side of the border have to be respected,” said a woman on the US side of the Mexican border bridge near San Ysidro.
Officials say Obama will not be revealing any legislation of his own, but is instead hoping to rally support for plan put together by the cross-party group of senators.
A number of efforts to overhaul immigration over the past two decades have failed – hampered by right-wing Republicans.
The new proposal also includes enhanced security to prevent illegal immigration in the future.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 10:14 CET Indonesia’s Prabowo faces uncertain fate in opposition
- 09:55 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 09:47 CET Clashes in Libya’s Benghazi kill at least nine
- 09:40 CET Attack on bus in Iraq kills 51 prisoners, nine police
- 09:37 CET Disenchanted with Putin, some Russians vote with their feet
- 09:30 CET Taiwan says weather not seen as cause of plane crash that killed 48
- 09:20 CET U.N. urges sustained effort to improve flagging development
- 09:12 CET Train rams school bus in southern India, kills 13