US President Barack Obama has urged Congress to get behind plans to overhaul the immigration system.
A new proposal includes offering a route to citizenship for millions of unregistered immigrants living in the United States.
President Obama said: “I am here today because the time has come for common sense, comprehensive immigration reform, the time is now.”
“And if Congress is unable to move forward in a timely fashion I will send up a bill based on my proposal and insist that they vote in a right way,” he added.
Numerous efforts to overhaul immigration policies over the past two decades have failed.
But, with Latino voters at the forefront of the minds of both the Democrats and the Republicans following the recent election, a bi-partisan approach is looking more likely than it has done for many years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 13:15 CET EU refers Italy to court over Milan airport state aid
- 11:42 CET Arab rifts may complicate search for Gaza truce
- 11:33 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid in cabin wall, suitcases of cash at…
- 11:09 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 11:04 CET Young Islamic State robs al Qaeda of militant prestige
- 08:29 CET French parliament adopts disputed rail reform
- 07:43 CET Oil smuggling finances Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises