Rows of men allegedly executed have appeared in videos uploaded to the Internet by activists opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The footage shows dozens of men, purportedly found dead in the northern city of Aleppo with gunshot wounds to their heads.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based NGO which aims to provide information on casualties from both sides of the conflict, says the death toll here could be as high as 80.
One activist, recorded in another video, said “these men were killed only because they were Muslims”.
It is impossible to verify such footage from Syria because of tight media restrictions in the country.
Meanwhile, refugees are flooding into neighbouring countries. According to the United Nations, some 700,000 people have fled Syria. Within Syria, the UN says there are four million in need and it has brought food to up to 1.5 million.
But the country’s main opposition coalition has been critical, saying the UN has allowed aid distribution to be controlled by the Syrian government and organisations sympathetic to it.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan kills dozens
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:11 CET Bombs in north Nigeria’s Kaduna kill at least 82
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker
- 16:41 CET Chaos as Czech parliament approves, then scraps, petrol tax cut
- 15:20 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at…