Rows of men allegedly executed have appeared in videos uploaded to the Internet by activists opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The footage shows dozens of men, purportedly found dead in the northern city of Aleppo with gunshot wounds to their heads.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based NGO which aims to provide information on casualties from both sides of the conflict, says the death toll here could be as high as 80.
One activist, recorded in another video, said “these men were killed only because they were Muslims”.
It is impossible to verify such footage from Syria because of tight media restrictions in the country.
Meanwhile, refugees are flooding into neighbouring countries. According to the United Nations, some 700,000 people have fled Syria. Within Syria, the UN says there are four million in need and it has brought food to up to 1.5 million.
But the country’s main opposition coalition has been critical, saying the UN has allowed aid distribution to be controlled by the Syrian government and organisations sympathetic to it.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 20:27 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 20:15 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali
- 20:05 CET Guantanamo hearing halted after defence accusations of FBI spying
- 20:03 CET U.S. releases $450 million of frozen Iranian funds after …
- 19:55 CET Kosovo PM urges vote on new war crimes court but calls it insult
- 19:51 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 19:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 19:05 CET Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday