The former US congresswoman, critically injured in a mass shooting two years ago, has told Congress to be “bold” and “courageous” in tackling gun violence.
Gabby Giffords’ speech comes six weeks after the Sandy Hook massacre.
“Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying. Too many children. We must do something. It will be hard, but the time is now. You must act,” the 42-year-old told US politicians.
Giffords was shot by a lone gunman in Tucson, Arizona in January 2011. Though she survived, she is left with mobility and speech problems.
Responding to outrage following the latest mass shooting, President Barack Obama has asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
But America’s powerful pro-gun lobby thinks the proposals won’t work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 2Death of a politician raises tension in Ukraine
- 3Egypt: Mursi espionage trial adjourned and media ban imposed
- 4Crimean authorities move against Tatars and their leader
- 5Ukrainian president calls for resumption of “anti-terrorist” operations in east
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 08:07 CET Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- 08:06 CET Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in ‘madly expensive’ Luanda
- 07:57 CET China military says faces ‘complex’ task keeping secrets
- 07:37 CET Russia holds snap military drills in Caspian Sea – report
- 07:17 CET Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case
- 05:58 CET Iran asks U.N. to act on U.S. ban on new ambassador
- 05:57 CET Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China ahead of visit
- 05:54 CET Vietnam sentences American to death over heroin – newspapers