The former US congresswoman, critically injured in a mass shooting two years ago, has told Congress to be “bold” and “courageous” in tackling gun violence.
Gabby Giffords’ speech comes six weeks after the Sandy Hook massacre.
“Speaking is difficult but I need to say something important. Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying. Too many children. We must do something. It will be hard, but the time is now. You must act,” the 42-year-old told US politicians.
Giffords was shot by a lone gunman in Tucson, Arizona in January 2011. Though she survived, she is left with mobility and speech problems.
Responding to outrage following the latest mass shooting, President Barack Obama has asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
But America’s powerful pro-gun lobby thinks the proposals won’t work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student
- 22:28 CET EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 22:19 CET France names ex-finance minister Moscovici as EU commissioner…
- 22:10 CET Sierra Leone’s top Ebola doctor dies from virus
- 21:06 CET Romania’s leftist PM launches candidacy in presidential election
- 20:17 CET Iraq’s Kurds have right to sell oil while squeezed by Baghdad – MP
- 20:11 CET American opinion of Arabs, Muslims is getting worse- poll