Israel has declined to comment on reports that its army launched an attack in the Syrian border area on Wednesday night.
Lebanese security sources claim Israeli forces hit an armed convoy on the Syria-Lebanon border.
The reports come at a time of growing concern about Syria’s arsenal of chemical weaponry, as the civil war there continues to escalate.
The Lebanese army says there was a strong presence of Israeli jets overnight.
There is no confirmed information about the exact nature or location of the target.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting of security chiefs to discuss Syria last week.
And his vice premier Silvan Shalom said on Sunday that any sign that the country is losing its grip on its chemical weapons could trigger Israeli military strikes.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Putin’s state of the nation address: “we are not trying to be a superpower”
- 5Ukraine’s deputy prime minister in talks with EU commissioner
- 1Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Riot police raid Kyiv’s central square
- 4What’s God got to do with it?, asks Nobel Prize in Physics winner
- 5Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 01:16 CET U.N. confirms chemical arms were used repeatedly in Syria
- 01:01 CET Central African Republic humanitarian crisis mounts even as…
- 00:58 CET Guinea opposition says will sit in Assembly despite poll dispute
- 00:08 CET Tunisia’s Islamists and opposition reach deal on premier
- 23:23 CET Biden, Japan PM Abe discuss East China Sea dispute
- 22:24 CET White House bid to hold off Iran sanctions gains backing
- 21:15 CET U.S. vows support for Syrian opposition despite troubles
- 21:05 CET Mafia death threat shows Italy still haunted by 1992 murders