Israel has declined to comment on reports that its army launched an attack in the Syrian border area on Wednesday night.
Lebanese security sources claim Israeli forces hit an armed convoy on the Syria-Lebanon border.
The reports come at a time of growing concern about Syria’s arsenal of chemical weaponry, as the civil war there continues to escalate.
The Lebanese army says there was a strong presence of Israeli jets overnight.
There is no confirmed information about the exact nature or location of the target.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting of security chiefs to discuss Syria last week.
And his vice premier Silvan Shalom said on Sunday that any sign that the country is losing its grip on its chemical weapons could trigger Israeli military strikes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace
- 20:45 CET Iran, world powers hold ‘substantive and useful’ nuclear talks
- 20:44 CET Yemen names new oil and interior ministers – state news agency