Austria’s Marcel Hirscher produced yet another flawless run to clinch a World Cup parallel slalom in Moscow on Tuesday
Just a few days after taking gold in the same discipline in Kitzbuehel, the 23 year old repeated the trick and outclassed Sweden’s Andre Myhrer in the men’s two-leg final to secure his sixth title of the season and 18th of his career on the World Cup circuit.
This win now sees Hirscher lead Norwegian rival Aksel Lund Svindal by 214 points in the overall standings with Felix Neureuther of Germany currently lying in third place, 145 points further back.
And in the women’s event, Germany’s Lena Duerr kept her composure to edge out Veronika Velez-Zuzulova in the final and claim her first victory this season.
American teenager Mikaela Shiffrin extended her lead in the discipline’s standings by finishing third while women’s overall leader Tina Maze of Slovenia was dumped out of the competition in the quarterfinals.
Four-time overall World Cup champion Lindsey Vonn didn’t race in Moscow in order to prepare for next week’s world championships in Schladming, Austria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 2Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 3François d’Haene wins Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc
- 4Man Utd’s woes continue, Bayern start with win and Ajax stumped at home
- 5Fans pay tribute to striker Ebosse
- 1Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 2Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 3Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 4Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 6NATO: ‘Ready to deploy forces’ in response to all security challenges | euronews, world news
- 7Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 12Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 13At least 6 confirmed dead in Paris apartment blast | euronews, world news
- 14Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 15Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 16No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 17Spain treats Europe’s first case of Ebola | euronews, world news
- 18Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 19Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 20Sephardic Jews eye return to Spain | euronews, reporter
Wires > Sport
- 12:55 CET Tasty icing, cherry on top but will United cake crumble?
- 11:50 CET English clubs lead the way in summer spending spree
- 11:46 CET United’s big spending shows lack of faith in youth – Phelan
- 11:07 CET Last survivor of timeless test dies
- 09:06 CET Nishikori works late to reach U.S. Open quarter-finals
- 04:37 CET Tennis-Azarenka overcomes qualifier Krunic to reach quarters
- 04:24 CET La Liga lure proves irresistible in window
- 04:10 CET Manchester United top deadline-day big spenders