In response to the growing unrest on the streets of Egypt, President Mohammed Mursi has cut short a diplomatic trip to Europe.
The streets of Ismailia, Port Said and Suez are thronged with protesters after dark, despite a state of emergency being declared and a curfew imposed.
More than 50 people are known to have been killed.
Mursi still plans to visit Germany on Wednesday, but the two-day stay has been cut to just a few hours. A subsequent visit to France has been cancelled entirely.
The turmoil has shown some signs of easing, but the instability has stirred uneasiness internationally. Mursi will be hoping to help allay fears when he meets Angela Merkel in Berlin.
The Chief of Egypt’s armed forces has warned the crisis could end with the collapse of the state.
Mourners at the funerals of those killed in Port Said called for the overthrow of the President.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 10:37 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China…
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan