It is third time lucky for South Korea where a rocket has been successfully launched after two previous failures. In addition, the launch was also called off at the last minute twice last year, due to technical problems.
Named Naro, the rocket is carrying a satellite to collect climate data – the first South Korean satellite to be sent into space from inside the country.
“Five hundred and forty seconds after the launch of Naro at 4 o’clock this afternoon, the scientific satellite successfully separated from the rocket. Based on various analysis reports, I officially announce the launch as successful – placing the scientific satellite into the proper orbit,” South Korea’s Minister for Education, Science and Technology Lee Ju-Ho said at a press conference.
Timing could be key. The launch comes just over a month after neighbouring North Korea successfully sent its own satellite into – causing tension in the region, allegations of long-range missile testing and more UN sanctions against Pyongyang.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 4[Live] Ukraine: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 5Armoured vehicles flying Russian flags roll into Slovyansk in Ukraine
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 17:41 CET Pakistani Taliban end ceasefire with government but say talks…
- 17:39 CET ‘Super tax’ on African remittances hurts development – thinktank
- 16:58 CET India’s Modi says committed to no first use of nuclear weapons
- 16:54 CET Algeria’s bloody past, energy wealth keep status quo for now
- 16:35 CET Analysis – Brazil’s Rousseff looks weak, but so do her election…
- 16:06 CET Speaker calls on Lebanese parliament to elect president on April 23
- 15:55 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 15:50 CET Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes