The international peace envoy to Syria has said the country is “breaking up before everyone’s eyes.”
Lakhdar Brahimi added that the conflict had reached “unprecedented levels of horror”, accusing both government and rebels of committing atrocities.
“Syria is being destroyed. You know I sometimes say – of course the parties are very angry at me when I say that – objectively they are cooperating in destroying Syria,” he said.
Lakhdar Brahimi spoke on the day evidence emerged of another massacre. The bodies of dozens of young men were discovered in Aleppo. They were said to be aged around 20; all had been shot in the head.
The UN-Arab League envoy again criticised the UN Security Council for failing to act. It could no longer make excuses about being divided, he said.
Russia and China have repeatedly vetoed resolutions against the Syrian government.
A Lebanese newspaper has reported that President al-Assad’s wife Asma is pregnant with their fourth child.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 11:45 CET Sex video case lands another China official in jail
- 11:17 CET Japan should embrace nuclear power, government panel says
- 11:11 CET Insight – In Yemen, al Qaeda gains sympathy amid US drone strikes
- 11:05 CET Suspects on run after breakout from Baghdad police cell
- 10:57 CET Greek police investigate arson attack at former PM’s seaside house
- 10:23 CET Irish government faces post-bailout battle to woo back voters
- 10:16 CET Asian nations urge peace in sea disputes, unlikely to blame China
- 09:56 CET Sicily police arrest family of top Mafia boss