Former England captain David Beckham joined big-spending Paris Saint Germain on Thursday on a five month contract.
The player had recently been training with Premier League club Arsenal in a bid to retain his fitness since he left the LA Galaxy in December after five and a half years with the American club, who he helped to two MLS Cup titles.
Beckham was the target of several top European teams in recent weeks but decided to extend his illustrious career in the French capital.
“I am very lucky. I am 37 years old and I have had a lot of offers, more offers than in my whole career at my age. So I am very honoured by that.”
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid star admitted he chose PSG because of their ambition for success.
That ambition has led to the club spending 235.5 million euros on new signings in the last 18 months including Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
“I chose Paris because I can see what the club is trying to do. I’ve seen the players that the club is bringing in. You know it’s an exciting city, always has been always will be but now there is a club that is going to have a lot of success over the next 10, 15, 20 years.”
As well as the glamour and the popular brand Beckham, PSG will hope the veteran midfielder can also bring with him his experience and trophy winning ways, as he did with Manchester United, Real Madrid and the Galaxy.
Beckham will wear the number 32 shirt as at AC Milan, where he worked with current PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti and sporting director Leonardo, during his two loan spells in 2009 and 2010.
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Borussia Dortmund raise capital with Puma set to buy stake
- 2Pope Francis greets players and manager from San Lorenzo football team
- 3Subwing: the new sport sweeping Europe that let’s you swim like a dolphin
- 4Borussia Dortmund down Bayern Munich to claim German Supercup
- 5Fifteen-year-old Martin Odegaard set to make Norwegian soccer history
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 3Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing | euronews, world news
- 5Transasia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan | euronews, world news
- 6Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 8Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 9US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 10Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 11Banking for everyone: Africa’s next big challenge | euronews, focus
- 12Kalamata Dance Festival hits 20 with a spring in its step | euronews, le mag
- 13Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 14Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 15Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 16Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 17Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 18No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 19Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 20WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:15 CET Fitness concerns plague Nishikori ahead of U.S. Open
- 04:05 CET Champions League qualifiers may be better in May
- 02:55 CET Newey fears for wasted youth of boy racers
- 00:53 CET Atletico’s Mandzukic strikes early to clinch Super Cup
- 23:46 CET Robben, Mueller score as Bayern start with win
- 23:13 CET Ten-man PSG held 0-0 at Evian after Cabaye dismissal
- 21:53 CET Bangladesh collapse to 177-run defeat by Windies
- 21:41 CET Former Chelsea favourite Hudson has cancer