Italian authorities have found the body of an American fighter pilot who crashed his F16 jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
The pilot had left a US military base north of Venice on a training mission on Monday night.
He was flying with three other aircraft when he reported a problem. A helmet and parachute were recovered off the coast of Pesaro two days later.
“It is with great sadness that we announce that the body of Captain Lucas Gruenther was found in the Adriatic Sea this afternoon,” said a statement from his family, which was released by the US Air Force.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 17:48 CET U.N. to inspect Libya’s uranium stocks amid worsening stability
- 17:33 CET Iran and six powers meet on steps to carry out nuclear deal
- 17:12 CET Syrian army retakes road needed to ship out chemical arms
- 17:06 CET Pentagon chief Hagel in Pakistan for talks on security, drones
- 16:57 CET Friend and foe, world leaders coming together for Mandela
- 16:46 CET Merkel’s conservatives back coalition deal despite doubts
- 16:42 CET New Italian centre-left leader pledges support to government
- 16:17 CET Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media