Human Rights Watch (HRW) says Russia’s recent rights record is worse that at any time since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Brandishing the NGO’s most recent annual report at a press conference in Moscow, HRW Deputy Director Rachel Denber reserved her harshest words for the period since Putin returned to power.
But she said Russia’s decline started long before that:
“For a decade since the so-called “colour revolutions” in neighbouring countries, the Russian authorities have been attempting to marginalise, demonise, and discredit opposition politicians, human rights activists, civil society organisations,” Denber said.
Putin’s presidential comeback has been marred by a series of opposition protests against policies that many see as detrimental to human rights.
Grievances include the arrest of members of rock group “Pussy Riot” for staging a protest at a Moscow cathedral and a new law prohibiting the promotion of homosexuality.
HRW: The Day After
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 20:31 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 20:20 CET Venezuela says ex-intelligence head arrested in Aruba
- 20:19 CET First U.N. aid convoy enters Syria without government consent
- 20:05 CET Russian court sentences opposition leaders to 4.5 years each in…
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…