Ukraine and Russia are embroiled in a new gas dispute after Moscow sent Kiev a huge bill for gas it commissioned but did not use.
News media reported over the weekend that Gazprom sent Ukraine’s Naftogas a €5.2 billion bill under a ‘take-or-pay’ clause that Ukraine has to pay even if it hasn’t imported the gas.
“Ukraine has paid for the delivered gas in full,” said Energy Minister Eduard Stavytsky. “There is no question about that. Regarding the claim, our lawyers are onto it and we’ll deliver a proper legal response. I am sure we will find common ground with our Russian colleagues.”
Ukraine is keen to limit its dependence on Russia for gas supplies. It recently signed an agreement with Royal Dutch Shell to begin tests for shale gas extraction in the east of the country.
Russia’s decision is seen by some as retaliation.
“The Russian government is concerned that Ukraine is delaying its decision to join the customs union, which is a strategic issue for Russia. The main issue is making Ukraine join in 2013,” said one commentator.
The European Commission says it expects both sides to make sure that shipments to the EU remain uninterrupted. It is hoped there is no repeat of the supply crisis of 2009.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal
- 02:39 CET Death row Christian woman flies out of Sudan, meets pope
- 02:12 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks