Southeastern parts of the USA have been ploughed by a storm front in which the winds caused at least two people’s deaths.
The community of Adairsville, north of Atlanta, Georgia, was left shredded.
Tornadoes were reported in Mississippi, Indiana and Tennessee, along a more than thousand kilometre corridor.
At Owen’s Bar-B-Q roadside grill, employee Chrystal Bagley said: “It lasted probably about, I want to say about 20 seconds, maybe. After we made it into the rest room it quit.”
Haulier Danny Odum said: “When we went back, my truck was turned over and all the glass was blown out of it. My dog was in it but he’s not hurt. Nobody’s hurt. That’s the main thing.”
Emergency officials said minor injuries requiring hospital treatment were sporadic.
The wind split and hurled trees and treated large objects like toys all the way north to Pennsylvania, which borders on the state of New York.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 11:42 CET Arab rifts may complicate search for Gaza truce
- 11:33 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid in cabin wall, suitcases of cash at…
- 11:09 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 11:04 CET Young Islamic State robs al Qaeda of militant prestige
- 08:29 CET French parliament adopts disputed rail reform
- 07:43 CET Oil smuggling finances Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling