Francis Ricciardone, the US ambassador to Turkey, has paid tribute to the security guard who died in Friday’s suicide bombing at the American embassy in Ankara.
“I paid my respects to the family of the Turkish hero who stood guard for us every day, was well trained, was committed to his job and died defending the Turks and Americans who worked at our embassy.”
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured in the explosion at one of the entrances to the embassy.
The assailant also died during the blast.
The Turkish government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP. He was implicated in another attack in 1997.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack was the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against the prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Blackout: Gaza’s only power plant destroyed by Israeli tank attack
- 4Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 5Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 18:42 CET Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- 18:25 CET Air France, Virgin among airlines avoiding Iraqi airspace
- 18:09 CET U.S. nuclear negotiator will not guarantee end to Iran extensions
- 17:31 CET U.S.-Iran nuclear negotiator ‘concerned’ about detention of…
- 16:22 CET Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- 16:15 CET Suspect in Jewish Museum attack extradited to Belgium
- 15:46 CET Colombia’s Marxist ELN rebels to blame for explosions – police
- 15:38 CET Ex-Catalan chief Pujol stripped of titles in Spain tax scandal