Armenian presidential candidate, Paruyr Hayrikyan, has been shot by unknown gunmen at his home in the capital Yerevan.
Armenian Shans TV reported that gunmen fired two shots, wounding Hayrikyan with a bullet to his shoulder. His condition is not said to be life-threatening but the attack could delay this month’s election.
Hayrikan, 63, is one of eight candidates running, however he is not regarded as a strong challenger to the incumbent Serzh Sarksyan, who is expected to be re-elected for a second five-year term.
A former dissident, Hayrikan is the leader of a moderate opposition party, the National Selfdetermination Union.
According to Armenia’s constitution, the election could be postponed by two weeks if a candidate is unable to campaign or run. In the event of a candidate’s death, a new election is called, to be held within 40 days.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 09:33 CET South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew, stowage as rescue…
- 09:03 CET At least nine Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide
- 07:57 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…