In Cambodia thousands of people have turned out for the first of a four-day state funeral for the revered King Norodom Sihanouk.
The ceremony began with a royal procession where the King’s remains, encased in a golden ark, were brought out of the royal palace. It was then transported to a float and paraded along the capital’s main streets.
Sihanouk was 89 years old when he died of a heart attack in Beijing last year.
He had twice served as prime minister and was king twice before abdicating in 2004 in favour of his ballet-dancing son King Norodom Sihamoni, who is widely regarded as having ascended the throne reluctantly.
The procession will end in an area next to the Royal Palace where a cremation site has been established. The body of the former King will remain there for three days until its cremation on Monday.
Several heads of state and other foreign dignitaries are expected to attend.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 05:13 CET U.N. Security Council members mulling South Sudan sanctions
- 05:12 CET Obama uses Japan visit to reassure wary Asian allies
- 03:27 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 03:00 CET U.S. sharply criticizes Iran’s election to U.N. committee
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 01:26 CET Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- 00:59 CET Pentagon dossier to detail secretive U.S. Afghan detainee policy
- 00:55 CET Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?