In Cambodia thousands of people have turned out for the first of a four-day state funeral for the revered King Norodom Sihanouk.
The ceremony began with a royal procession where the King’s remains, encased in a golden ark, were brought out of the royal palace. It was then transported to a float and paraded along the capital’s main streets.
Sihanouk was 89 years old when he died of a heart attack in Beijing last year.
He had twice served as prime minister and was king twice before abdicating in 2004 in favour of his ballet-dancing son King Norodom Sihamoni, who is widely regarded as having ascended the throne reluctantly.
The procession will end in an area next to the Royal Palace where a cremation site has been established. The body of the former King will remain there for three days until its cremation on Monday.
Several heads of state and other foreign dignitaries are expected to attend.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Five more years for Bouteflika
- 4Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 5Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 07:07 CET Search resumes after Everest’s worst climbing tragedy
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status