In Cambodia thousands of people have turned out for the first of a four-day state funeral for the revered King Norodom Sihanouk.
The ceremony began with a royal procession where the King’s remains, encased in a golden ark, were brought out of the royal palace. It was then transported to a float and paraded along the capital’s main streets.
Sihanouk was 89 years old when he died of a heart attack in Beijing last year.
He had twice served as prime minister and was king twice before abdicating in 2004 in favour of his ballet-dancing son King Norodom Sihamoni, who is widely regarded as having ascended the throne reluctantly.
The procession will end in an area next to the Royal Palace where a cremation site has been established. The body of the former King will remain there for three days until its cremation on Monday.
Several heads of state and other foreign dignitaries are expected to attend.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 5Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico
- 07:09 CET China warns prominent Internet users over Kunming attack
- 04:44 CET Senior North Korean official reappears, belies reports of another…
- 00:51 CET U.S. freedom of navigation operations in 2013 targeted China, Iran
- 22:27 CET Congo warlord verdict a test for flagging international court
- 22:13 CET China’s “land kings” under threat as tightening takes a toll
- 21:40 CET Caribbean nations consider push for slavery reparations
- 21:23 CET French, Mali troops kill 10 suspected Islamist militants