There has been a deadly explosion on board a truck carrying fireworks on a main highway in central China.
At least six people are reported to have died, and up to a dozen more injured, in the blast which destroyed an 80-metre long section of a bridge in Henan province.
The initial death toll given by state authorities had been much higher.
Several vehicles plummeted some 30-metres to the ground. Some reports says many cars were thrown over the edge by the force of the blast, the cause of which remains unclear.
Fireworks explosions, however, are common in China, especially around the Chinese new year holiday period, due to quality control problems and poor safety standards.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border
- 06:54 CET Japan’s Abe: Continue to gain understanding of his Yasukuni visit
- 06:06 CET Australia rules out link between debris and Malaysian plane
- 05:30 CET U.N. Security Council members mulling South Sudan sanctions
- 05:12 CET Obama uses Japan visit to reassure wary Asian allies
- 03:27 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 03:00 CET U.S. sharply criticizes Iran’s election to U.N. committee
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees