There has been a deadly explosion on board a truck carrying fireworks on a main highway in central China.
At least six people are reported to have died, and up to a dozen more injured, in the blast which destroyed an 80-metre long section of a bridge in Henan province.
The initial death toll given by state authorities had been much higher.
Several vehicles plummeted some 30-metres to the ground. Some reports says many cars were thrown over the edge by the force of the blast, the cause of which remains unclear.
Fireworks explosions, however, are common in China, especially around the Chinese new year holiday period, due to quality control problems and poor safety standards.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan kills dozens
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5First of flight MH17 victims’ remains arrive in the Netherlands
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 19:05 CET Bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari targeted
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker