The motor industry has been gearing up for the Washington Auto Show, one of the biggest car events in North America.
When the public walk through the doors later they will see an industry that is back at full throttle, with analysts predicting new vehicle registrations in the US will be six and a half per cent higher this year than last.
Megan Gillam from the Lincoln Motor Company told euronews: “Particularly in the luxury industry, we are seeing a lot of growth and we can expect that the luxury market will grow even more quickly in 2013 than the total vehicle market as a whole.”
There is an emphasis on smaller cars and new technology aimed at making President Obama’s goal of increasing fuel economy.
Even so, it is the gas-guzzling SUVs that still dominate – Chrysler-Fiat which owns the Jeep badge, sold nearly half a million of them last year.
Our Washington correspondent Stefan Grobe reported from the show: “There is a lot of optimism, especially among European carmakers. Some executives told us they were well-prepared for the reawakening of the SUV market. Believing they have superior technology, they are confident they can increase their US market-share.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Kerry pushes for Gaza truce as death toll tops 700
- 04:36 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video