The French President Francois Hollande is on his way to Mali tonight in support of French and Malian troops engaged in battle against Islamist rebels.
But his trip risks being overshadowed by claims that the French-led offensive has resulted in civilian deaths and allegations of ethnic reprisals by Malian troops.
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, cite eyewitness reports of extrajudicial killings by Malian soldiers of dozens of civilians in the central towns of Sevare and Konna.
France has deployed more than 3,500 ground forces to wrest control of northern Mali’s towns from an al Qaeda-linked alliance.
The Malian military has denied any reprisal killings by its soldiers while France says none of its helicopters have targeted any area inside the town of Konna.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 3Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 4Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 6Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 7US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 8Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 9Banking for everyone: Africa’s next big challenge | euronews, focus
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 12Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 13Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 14No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 15Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 16WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
- 17Love learning, stop hating! | euronews, generation y
- 18Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant | euronews, world news
- 19Elton John headlines at Paleo | euronews, le mag
- 20Mobile banking revolutionsing personal finance in Africa | euronews, focus
Wires > News
- 10:22 CET U.S. suspect in Bali suitcase murder of mother appoints new lawyer
- 10:11 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says new cabinet to be announced on Friday
- 09:45 CET Japan PM Abe sent condolences to memorial for convicted war…
- 09:40 CET Afghan election audit disrupted as candidate threatens to walk out
- 07:54 CET American released by Syrian militants excited to be free, mother…
- 06:38 CET Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar’s chief assassin freed from jail
- 05:45 CET Poroshenko to seek ceasefire after ‘very tough’ talks with Putin
- 05:42 CET Libyan raids could herald bolder Arab action as U.S. wavers