Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 21:22 CET Chelsea surge clear with Tottenham drubbing
- 20:57 CET Dublin bids emotional farewell to local legend O’Driscoll
- 20:45 CET Eto’o, Hazard and Ba give Chelsea win over 10-man Spurs
- 20:28 CET Poulter and Matsuyama end spat with handshake
- 18:28 CET Dzeko must come down to earth, says angry Bosnia coach
- 17:50 CET Thirimanne, Jayawardene bat Sri Lanka to Asia Cup crown
- 16:47 CET ‘Batman’ Illarramendi apologises after cow incident
- 15:28 CET Xavi dreams of being Barca’s head coach one day