Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 11:01 CET Sturridge hopeful of returning against Chelsea
- 05:33 CET Uruguay not among world’s elite, says coach
- 04:21 CET Australia’s Beale needs surgery, but will keep playing
- 04:05 CET Liverpool seek to land knockout blow on Chelsea
- 01:15 CET Good ambiance crucial to get best from Messi – Sabella
- 22:01 CET Liverpool announce Anfield stadium revamp plans
- 21:52 CET Best and worst sporting comebacks
- 21:42 CET Januzaj opts to play for Belgium