Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 22:16 CET In-form DeLaet seeks to end local drought at Canadian Open
- 21:49 CET Brazil keeper Julio Cesar back at Queens Park Rangers
- 21:33 CET Sunderland sign Dutch defender Van Aanholt from Chelsea
- 21:25 CET Lauda apologises to Ferrari for derogatory comment
- 21:12 CET Crystal Palace sign Fraizer Campbell on three-year deal
- 21:09 CET Force India happy to retain drivers, says Mallya
- 21:08 CET United sell misfit Bebe to Benfica
- 20:18 CET Roswell is golden girl but Kenny settles for silver again