Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 20:25 CET Sabella quits as Argentina coach – reports
- 19:50 CET Caterham F1 team and ex-employees in legal action
- 19:43 CET Soccer-Barkley agrees new contract at Everton
- 19:37 CET Excited Drogba aims to end Chelsea’s five-year title wait
- 18:41 CET Liverpool sign Belgian Origi and loan him back to Lille
- 18:31 CET Ecclestone seeks to settle German bribery case
- 18:23 CET Macho sport looks to feminine side in women’s World Cup
- 17:58 CET Genk fire coach after opening game of the season