Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 02:19 CET Donald closes strongly for third round lead at Heritage
- 00:13 CET Cavani double hands PSG French League Cup trophy
- 23:04 CET Sporting cling to title hopes, reach Champions League
- 21:20 CET Pulis relief as Palace secure safety before title-chasers arrive
- 19:23 CET Americans Furyk and Martin join Choi in Heritage lead
- 19:11 CET Stormers win brings relief as they move off the bottom
- 18:51 CET Djokovic out for ‘some time’ with wrist injury
- 17:07 CET Sharks stay top after grinding out 19-8 win