A growing number of sex attacks against women protesting in Cairo’s Tahrir Square has alarmed rights groups in the city.
During a recent mass demonstration as many as 30 women suffered harassment and abuse, with one woman sexually assaulted with a knife.
The attacks follow a similar pattern.
Women are isolated and surrounded by groups of men who grope and abuse them, then attempt to remove their clothes.
Reports suggest such attacks are well planned and the mobs that carry them out are paid in order to
discourage women from taking part in protests.
Salma Tarzi is from the Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment/Assault group:
“In the past couple of months when we had big demonstrations, we had very severe and aggressive attacks. Our goal today is to try to stop the harrassment before it happens.”
Mixed-gender volunteer teams now patrol the square to assist any woman who comes under attack.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 05:13 CET U.N. Security Council members mulling South Sudan sanctions
- 05:12 CET Obama uses Japan visit to reassure wary Asian allies
- 03:27 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 03:00 CET U.S. sharply criticizes Iran’s election to U.N. committee
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 01:26 CET Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- 00:59 CET Pentagon dossier to detail secretive U.S. Afghan detainee policy
- 00:55 CET Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?