Forget Beijing, India’s largest city New Delhi is suffering far worse air pollution.
The New York Times reports that a key measurement used to test air quality has found that it is more than twice as hazardous in Delhi as in the Chinese capital.
Earlier this week, a separate Indian measure also showed record levels of air pollution.
The renewed attention over smog in Asian cities comes after a blanket of thick, noxious cloud covered Beijing.
The hazard prompted the Chinese government to order cars off the roads and temporarily close factories.
Referring to the pollution in Delhi, environmental scientist Anumita Roy Choudhary warned that the toxic haze could start to cause serious respiratory ailments:
“How severe the smog is going to be will depend entirely on the level of pollution that you are generating in the city and that is becoming really impossible,” Choudhary said.
“If you look at the pollution sources in Delhi, what is increasing very rapidly are the vehicles. But you do have other sources, there are power plants, there is industry, there are open burning problems,” she added.
Delhi is not the only city growing faster than nature can cope with. The World Health Organisation lists six Indian metro areas among the world’s 10 most polluted:
The government is working on a new plan to improve air quality but it is unlikely to be implemented for months, if not years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 19:03 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo
- 17:00 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion
- 15:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 15:36 CET In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter
- 14:10 CET Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest