A suicide bomber attacked one of the entrances to the US Embassy in Ankara on Friday, killing a Turkish security guard.
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured.
The assailant also died during the blast.
Turkey’s government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack is the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
The US state department is investigating the incident in cooperation with the Turkish authorities.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 4Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 5Mysterious case of ‘two stolen passports’ used on Malaysia Airways flight
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 05:33 CET Malaysia signals missing plane has crashed; probes false IDs
- 20:23 CET Red Cross worker killed in Central African Republic
- 19:16 CET Pope names top economists, finance experts to Vatican body
- 19:03 CET Syria government forces take village near Lebanese border
- 18:30 CET EU’s Ashton visits Iran for first time; nuclear issue on agenda
- 17:46 CET Al Qaeda-linked militants in Lebanon apologise for civilian deaths
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory