A suicide bomber attacked one of the entrances to the US Embassy in Ankara on Friday, killing a Turkish security guard.
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured.
The assailant also died during the blast.
Turkey’s government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack is the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
The US state department is investigating the incident in cooperation with the Turkish authorities.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 16:18 CET EU’s Ashton visits Iran for first time; nuclear issue on agenda
- 15:03 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed…
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt