Hillary Clinton has said an emotional goodbye to staff at the State Department before standing down as the face and the voice of US foreign policy around the world.
After four years in the job she said she was more optimistic than at the start, and she believes the world is a safer place than it was then.
“I am very proud to have been Secretary of State. I will miss you. I will probably be dialling ops (operations) just to talk,” she told state department staff in Washington.
Clinton was America’s third woman to head the State Department. Taking her place is the Massachussetts Democrat John Kerry, who was sworn in on Friday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 3Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 4Four children among road crash dead near Troyes, France
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling
- 04:46 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 04:44 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 04:24 CET Australian Islamist returns home to surveillance, not jail
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…