A video showing a group of Egyptian riot police beating a naked man with batons has fired outrage in the country off the scale.
The last eight days have been the bloodiest since President Mohammed Mursi came to power with close to 60 people being killed following unrest in a number of cities.
Political instability and street protests threaten to make the most populous Arab state ungovernable.
The victim of the brutality, Hamada Saber, is said to be recovering from his injuries in a police hospital.
The president’s office released a statement announcing an investigation into the beating.
There is anger on the streets of Cairo:
“This is against humanity, nobody accepts it. The officers who carried out the beating may one see a member of his family beaten in the same way. We condemn what happened even if the victim was thief or a thug,” said one man.
The main opposition coalition has called for an end to the regime and want Mursi to stand trial.
Opponents of the president claim he ordered the crackdown like that carried out by Hosni Mubarak during the uprising that forced him from office.
The latest wave of violence was triggered by the second anniversary of the fall of Mubarak and the death sentences handed down in Port Said over a riot at a football stadium that left 70 people dead.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…
- 22:53 CET Qatar emir meets Saudi king in Jeddah to discuss Gaza fighting
- 22:51 CET Peru’s prime minister steps down amid political scandal
- 22:16 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 21:59 CET Homemade explosive goes off at Santiago church, another defused
- 21:23 CET Boko Haram moves unopposed in strategic Nigerian town