Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has denied that he and other senior members of the ruling People’s Party received regular cash payments from a secret slush fund.
Allegations in the Spanish media claim Rajoy was paid 25,000 euros a year for 11 years with money donated by construction companies.
Rajoy denied any wrongdoing.
“I won’t need more than two words: It’s false. I’ve never, I repeat, I’ve never received and I never gave undeclared money to others in this party or in any other one. Never. I will repeat it once again: it’s false.”
El Pais published detailed photos of accounts allegedly kept by former party treasurer Luis Bárcenas, which detail payments to Rajoy and Rodrigo Rato, the former finance minister.
Luis Bárcenas, who resigned from the party after being involved in a separate corruption case, denied the accounts were his.
Spain’s attorney-general said the allegations were enough to launch an investigation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 4Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 21:09 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 21:05 CET Syrian opposition accuses Assad’s forces of new poison gas attack
- 21:04 CET Algerian police break up anti-government protest before election
- 20:34 CET Iranian negotiators reject hardline criticism of nuclear talks
- 18:55 CET 22 reported killed in clashes over Central African Republic town
- 18:48 CET India’s Modi says committed to no first use of nuclear weapons
- 18:26 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 18:14 CET Abductors of Nigerian schoolgirls pretended to be soldiers -…