Russia is remembering the battle of Stalingrad, 70 years after the Nazi army surrendered, turning the tide of World War Two.
President Putin held a reception at the Kremlin that included many veterans of the six month onslaught, who want the city now known as Volgograd to revert to its old name.
And for a short time, during the official ceremonies, it will be.
“We have to do everything to keep the memory of Stalingrad and its truth alive,” the president told guests. “We have to fight against the attempts of falsifying the events of World War II and against those who try to adapt the facts with politically-minded conceptions and who shamelessly erase the heroic actions of the ones who liberated the world.”
Two million people on both sides died before the surrender on February 2, 1943.
Stalingrad became a symbol of immeasurable Russian resilience and determination.
Putin would welcome some patriotic pride. He has been under fire for corruption and a lack of political freedom in Russia.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 4UN on human rights in Ukraine: ‘stop lies, propaganda and inciting hatred’
- 5[Live] Ukraine: NATO reinforces Eastern Europe Defences as Pro-Russian progress in Donetsk and Kramatorsk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 15:50 CET Over 280 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes
- 15:48 CET Egyptian court jails 119 Mursi supporters
- 15:47 CET Abductors of Nigerian schoolgirls pretended to be soldiers -…
- 14:37 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signalling compliance
- 14:35 CET Megaupload’s Dotcom, facing legal threat, launches political party
- 14:02 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 13:59 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 13:39 CET Russia mulls lawsuit against United States in WTO over sanctions