Russia has been commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad.
For a few hours the city of Volgograd readopted its old name of Stalingrad to mark the 70th anniversary of the six-month campaign that turned the tide of World War Two.
President Vladimir Putin flew to the city, known as Stalingrad from 1925 until 1961, to lay a wreath and meet veterans after a military parade and featuring a wartime T-34 tank.
Hundreds of war veterans turned up for the parade on central Square of the Fallen Fighters, their coats weighed down by medals, the youngest of them now 89.
Some two million people died during the battle but Russia’s victory is a symbol of national pride, and has produced an outburst of patriotic fervour.
For others it has heightened nostalgia for the Soviet era and dictator Josef Stalin.
After Stalingrad, Soviet troops fought their way westward to Berlin, taking the German capital 27 months later.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3[Live updates] Russian Parliament could vote Crimea’s annexation on March 21
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 15:48 CET Saudi sentences three suspected militants to death for 2003 bombing
- 15:46 CET Suspected Russian spyware Turla targets Europe, U.S.
- 15:28 CET Luxembourg’s Juncker wins centre-right backing in bid for top …
- 15:09 CET Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- 15:01 CET Latin American presidents to discuss Venezuela unrest, Ecuador says
- 14:59 CET Kerry in Jordan for talks on Middle East peace
- 14:58 CET Saudi Arabia designates Muslim Brotherhood as terrorist group-…
- 14:42 CET Two South African policemen suspended over video-recorded assault