In northern Iraq, at least 33 people have been killed and dozens more hurt in a sucide attack on the police headquarters in Kirkuk.
Authorities say two gunmen disguised as police officers drove a car packed with explosives into the building’s entrance.
After the blast, gunmen with explosive vests attacked with AK47s and grenades, but guards killed them.
It is the third major attack in several weeks in or near the northern city, an ethnically mixed area of Arabs, Kurds and Turkmen at the heart of a dispute over oil and land between Baghdad and the autonomous Kurdistan region.
Last month a suicide bomber disguised as a mourner killed at least 26 at a funeral at a Shi’ite mosque in the nearby city of Tuz Khurmato, and days earlier a suicide bomber driving a truck
killed 25 in an attack on a political party headquarters in Kirkuk.
Several armed groups are active in Kirkuk, and Sunni
Islamist insurgents tied to al Qaeda often attack security forces in an attempt to undermine
Shi’ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki’s government and stoke sectarian tensions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 4Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 5Five more years for Bouteflika
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status