Fiat looks set merge with its US subsidiary Chrysler in 2014. Group boss Sergio Marchionne made the announcement at the home of Fiat, Turin.
Marchionne remained vague on whether the company would remain at its Turin base or what the new outfit would be called, Fiat or Chrysler.
Fiat is in trouble in Europe, while in the US Chrysler is on a roll. Chrysler announced a 1.2 billion euro profit at the end of January.
While declining sales at Fiat has seen the company cut production at its Italian factories by close to 60 per cent.
To prevent any further job losses Fiat is to up Alfa Romeo and Maserati production and export them to the US and elsewhere.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 10:37 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China…
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan