Fiat looks set merge with its US subsidiary Chrysler in 2014. Group boss Sergio Marchionne made the announcement at the home of Fiat, Turin.
Marchionne remained vague on whether the company would remain at its Turin base or what the new outfit would be called, Fiat or Chrysler.
Fiat is in trouble in Europe, while in the US Chrysler is on a roll. Chrysler announced a 1.2 billion euro profit at the end of January.
While declining sales at Fiat has seen the company cut production at its Italian factories by close to 60 per cent.
To prevent any further job losses Fiat is to up Alfa Romeo and Maserati production and export them to the US and elsewhere.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’
- 23:09 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 22:47 CET U.N. panel tells Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’
- 22:33 CET Special report – Inside Xi Jinping’s purge of China’s oil mandarins
- 22:19 CET At least 15 killed by Israeli shelling of Gaza school; toll…
- 22:16 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 22:11 CET Italy PM Renzi’s reform plans hit resistance in Senate
- 22:01 CET Mali government, northern rebels sign roadmap deal for peace talks