European leaders have reached agreement on the first ever cut to the EU’s budget in its 56 year history.
Brussels will work to a ceiling of 960 billion euros between 2014 and 2020.
The deal will see a real term cut of around 3 percent.
European Council President Herman Van Rompuy told a press conference: “This is a budget of moderation. We simply could not ignore the extremely difficult economic realities across Europe. So it had to be a leaner budget. For the first time ever, there is a real cut compared to the last multi-annual financial framework.”
Negotiators spent the previous 24 hours of the EU leaders’ summit haggling over which areas of the budget could be trimmed.
In total, around 34 billion euros in both commitments and payments will be cut.
The deal must now be approved by the European Parliament which is likely to take several months and is far from guaranteed.
The EU calculates two budget numbers. As well as the ‘commitments’ figure of 960 billion euros, a lower ‘payments’ figure’ of 908 billion euros indicates what will actually be spent.
The payments figure was low enough to convince Britain, which focuses on payments rather than
commitments, that it was getting a satisfactory deal.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:28 CET At least 15 dead in Israeli shelling of Gaza school – Health…
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president
- 16:16 CET Mediterranean boat people numbers soar to near 100,000 this year
- 16:14 CET Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed – Algerian…