Real Madrid put themselves in prime position for a record 24th Champions League semi-final appearance following a commanding 3-0 win over Galatasaray in the first leg of their quarter-final.
Cristiano Ronaldo continued his impressive goal-scoring record this edition just nine minutes into the game at the Santiago Bernabeu.
It was the Portugal international’s ninth goal of the campaign from nine matches.
The former Manchester United star strolled onto Mesut Ozil’s superb defence-splitting pass and chipped the outcoming Fernando Muslera to get Jose Mourinho’s men off to the ideal start.
Karim Benzema doubled the scoreline for the Spaniards on 29 minutes. Michael Essien picked out the France International at the far post where the striker controlled the ball before steering it past Muslera from close range.
Madrid put one foot in the semi-finals of Europe’s top club competition on the 73rd minute when Gonzalo Higuain latched onto a dangerous inswinging Xabi Alonso free-kick to head home Real’s third and final goal of the night and his first of this Champions League campaign.
It was left finely balanced in the other last eight match-up between competition debutants Malaga and German champions Borussia Dortmund who played out a goalless stalemate at the Rosaleda Stadium.
If anything, Malaga will now have the slight upper hand when the two teams square up in the all-important second leg in Germany next week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 08:40 CET William Hill gets boost from World Cup betting
- 07:54 CET Crusaders have qualities to match former champions – Blackadder
- 07:22 CET Obama commemorates Special Olympics anniversary at star-studded…
- 06:49 CET Steve the Giant Killer slays Karlovic in Washington
- 05:55 CET Wallabies fans go mobile in best seats in the house
- 05:33 CET Watney soars high with 18 points in Reno
- 05:19 CET Muhammad Ali’s ‘Fight of the Century’ gloves sell for nearly…
- 04:56 CET Muhammad Ali’s ‘Fight of the Century’ gloves sell for nearly…