Chelsea got their Europa league quarter-final tie with Rubin Kazan off to the perfect start with a 3-1 win against the Russians in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.
Victor Mose scored a cracking half volley in the middle of a Fernando Torres double to put The Blues on track for the semis.
Contrasting fortunes for fellow English Premier League side Newcastle who lost to Benfica by the same scoreline in Lisbon.
Papiss Cisse scored first for the visitors but goals from Rodrigo, Lima and Óscar Cardozo left the Magpies with it all to do in the second leg next week.
Tottenham – who complete the English quarter-final contingency – came from two goals down to draw with Swiss side Basel at White Hart Lane while Pierre Webó and former Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt both scored to hand Fenerbache a 2-0 win over Lazio.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 22:01 CET Liverpool announce Anfield stadium revamp plans
- 21:52 CET Best and worst sporting comebacks
- 21:42 CET Januzaj opts to play for Belgium
- 19:52 CET Chelsea trio charged by FA after Sunderland defeat
- 18:54 CET Farbrace named England assistant coach
- 17:44 CET Ethiopia appoint Portugal’s Barreto as coach
- 17:37 CET Europe split by financial iron curtain, says Champagne
- 16:17 CET Ferrer suffers early defeat in Barcelona