Chelsea got their Europa league quarter-final tie with Rubin Kazan off to the perfect start with a 3-1 win against the Russians in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.
Victor Mose scored a cracking half volley in the middle of a Fernando Torres double to put The Blues on track for the semis.
Contrasting fortunes for fellow English Premier League side Newcastle who lost to Benfica by the same scoreline in Lisbon.
Papiss Cisse scored first for the visitors but goals from Rodrigo, Lima and Óscar Cardozo left the Magpies with it all to do in the second leg next week.
Tottenham – who complete the English quarter-final contingency – came from two goals down to draw with Swiss side Basel at White Hart Lane while Pierre Webó and former Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt both scored to hand Fenerbache a 2-0 win over Lazio.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 14:27 CET Hamilton’s Mercedes catches fire in qualifying
- 11:16 CET Italy administrator caught up in racism row
- 08:18 CET AFC throws the booklet at match-fixing in Asia
- 02:44 CET All Blacks seal important signatures for post-World Cup
- 01:50 CET DeLaet well placed to end Canadian title drought
- 00:53 CET Liverpool new boy Lallana to miss start of season
- 00:23 CET Scotland’s Wallace delights home crowd, England take double gold
- 23:59 CET Whirlwind Wright helps Sussex to world record run chase