Chelsea got their Europa league quarter-final tie with Rubin Kazan off to the perfect start with a 3-1 win against the Russians in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.
Victor Mose scored a cracking half volley in the middle of a Fernando Torres double to put The Blues on track for the semis.
Contrasting fortunes for fellow English Premier League side Newcastle who lost to Benfica by the same scoreline in Lisbon.
Papiss Cisse scored first for the visitors but goals from Rodrigo, Lima and Óscar Cardozo left the Magpies with it all to do in the second leg next week.
Tottenham – who complete the English quarter-final contingency – came from two goals down to draw with Swiss side Basel at White Hart Lane while Pierre Webó and former Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt both scored to hand Fenerbache a 2-0 win over Lazio.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 13:58 CET Ronaldo completes full training session, Bale has flu
- 13:02 CET World Cup to kick up prices in inflation-weary Brazil
- 12:12 CET Hillsborough campaigner’s words inspired Liverpool – Rodgers
- 10:01 CET Former Argentine ace Aimar axed by Malaysian team
- 09:45 CET Wembley can wait, Hull boss’s focus on Premier League status
- 07:44 CET Bloods clots end Super Rugby season for Hurricanes prop
- 05:26 CET Wilshere will be back and polished for World Cup – Wenger
- 04:44 CET Villa owner Lerner to decide on future at end of season