German giants Bayern Munich wrapped up their 23rd Bundesliga title with six games to go thanks to a narrow 1-0 win over Frankfurt on Saturday.
Jupp Henyckes’ men went into the game needing to match or better Borussia Dortmund’s result against Augsburg and Bastian Schweinsteiger’s classy backheel in the 52nd minute was enough to earn themselves all three points.
With six games still to play, it marks the earliest clinching of the title and makes Bayern the first team of any of the major European leagues to be crowned this season.
The Bavarians, who are still in the running for an unprecedented treble for a German club, will next lock horns with Juventus for a place in the Champions League semi-finals in Turin on Wednesday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 18:53 CET It’s a family affair for British Virgin Islands swimming team
- 18:51 CET Majka closes in on polka dot jersey as Nibali gains more ground
- 18:00 CET Poland’s Majka wins Tour de France Stage 17
- 17:58 CET Lonely Guyanese swimmer George aims to inspire others
- 16:36 CET Sri Lankan cycling team stopped by police on motorway
- 15:52 CET Feed maker probe after Queen’s horse fails drug test
- 15:49 CET South African gymnasts promise no sister sledging
- 15:21 CET Germany coach Loew to lead team to Euro 2016