German giants Bayern Munich wrapped up their 23rd Bundesliga title with six games to go thanks to a narrow 1-0 win over Frankfurt on Saturday.
Jupp Henyckes’ men went into the game needing to match or better Borussia Dortmund’s result against Augsburg and Bastian Schweinsteiger’s classy backheel in the 52nd minute was enough to earn themselves all three points.
With six games still to play, it marks the earliest clinching of the title and makes Bayern the first team of any of the major European leagues to be crowned this season.
The Bavarians, who are still in the running for an unprecedented treble for a German club, will next lock horns with Juventus for a place in the Champions League semi-finals in Turin on Wednesday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 11:50 CET Cho to head Pyeongchang 2018 organising panel
- 11:05 CET Southampton take Bertrand on loan from Chelsea
- 11:02 CET Dida penalty save not enough for Inter
- 10:58 CET Lukaku lost focus as was not first choice – Mourinho
- 10:26 CET Playtime over as jet-set Carter gets back to work
- 10:09 CET Rodgers ‘pleased’ with Liverpool’s comeback win over City
- 08:55 CET Algeria’s Mbolhi leaves Bulgaria for MLS
- 06:56 CET Shoulder surgery set to sideline All Blacks prop Woodcock