David Luiz scored four minutes into injury time to hand Chelsea a 2-1 win over Basel in the the first leg of their Europa League semi-final on Thursday evening in Switzerland.
Victor Moses opened up the scoring on 12 minutes only for his goal to be cancelled out on the 87th minute when Fabian Schar scored from the spot after Cesar Azpilicueta foul on Valentin Stocker.
But in a thrilling end to the game Luiz’s low free-kick went straight through the Basel wall and past Yann Sommer for the win.
Fenerbache meanwhile beat Benfica one nil in Turkey in the other semi to have the slight upper hand for the return leg next week. Egeman Korkmaz headed home the winner on 72 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 16:32 CET Barcelona’s Pique relishing return of ‘angry’ Suarez
- 16:24 CET Zenit look to banish last season’s title loss
- 16:05 CET Captain relieved to handle the pressure-cooker
- 15:43 CET Lukaku lost focus as was not first choice – Mourinho
- 15:26 CET West Ham’s Morrison remanded over assault charges
- 14:39 CET Sri Lanka drop Chandimal and Mendis for Pakistan series
- 14:33 CET Former Palestinian midfielder killed when bomb hits his Gaza home
- 14:32 CET Soccer World Cup lifts German beer sales