|Share this article
A Spanish court has suspended corruption charges brought against the daughter of King Juan Carlos of Spain.
It has been ruled that there is not sufficient evidence that Princess Cristina had been an accomplice in an embezzlement case involving her husband.
Inaki Urdangarin and his former business partner are accused of taking public funds they received and placing them into private businesses they controlled.
When Cristina, 47, was charged last month, it was the first time a member of the royal family had been the subject of criminal proceedings since the monarchy was reinstated in the 1970s.
“We have a Justice system that acts with independence, that respects the laws in all the situations,” said Alberto Ruíz Gallardon, Spanish Justice Minister.
Tuesday’s ruling by the High Court on the island of Mallorca overturned an earlier judgement by the examining magistrate of a lower court, although the charges could be reinstated if new evidence is found, the High Court said.
“The Royal Family initiated a powerful offensive to set a red line between justice and the interests of the state. So the king is not going to be able so say in front of the Spanish people that we are all equal in the eyes of the law,” said Gaspar Llamazares, from the United Left party.
The corruption case along with a long running recession has seen the Spanish monarchy’s popularity plunge to unprecedented levels.