There’s fury in Belize after a construction company nearly destroyed a Mayan temple to extract crushed rock for a road building project.
The Nohmul complex, one of the largest Mayan structures in the country, dates back at 2,300 years.
The government said it had launched a “vigorous” investigation into what happened.
Jamie Awe, Head of the Belize Institute of Archaeology said:
“Having to see the images of the destruction at Nohmul is in many ways probably one of the worst sort of blows I have felt philosophically and professionally in that regard – because what happened there is both deplorable and unforgivable.”
Archaeological experts say that bulldozing Mayan mounds to use for roads is not uncommon in Belize. The country is dotted with hundreds of ancient ruin sites, though few as large as Nohmul.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 03:39 CET Obama to use Japan visit to reassure Asian allies
- 03:27 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 03:17 CET U.N. Security Council members mulling South Sudan sanctions
- 03:00 CET U.S. sharply criticizes Iran’s election to U.N. committee
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 01:26 CET Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- 00:59 CET Pentagon dossier to detail secretive U.S. Afghan detainee policy
- 00:55 CET Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?