|Share this article
A new-born baby is in a critical condition in hospital in Poland after being born with 2.6 grams of alcohol in its blood – which is almost 13 times the adult drink drive limit.
The baby girl’s 24-year-old mother is said to have fainted at a local liquor store in the latter stages of her pregnancy. She was rushed to hospital, where doctors performed an emergency caesarian section to save the baby’s life.
“The unborn baby was in severe danger of being poisoned to death. When he came out his heart was barely beating and he had 2.6g of alcohol in his blood,” hospital spokeswoman Wojciech Zawalski said in a statement.
There are no immediate fears for the baby’s life but doctors are concerned about her development.
The mother could face charges of endangering the life and health of her child, a crime which carries a sentence of up to five years in prison.