Porto maintained their stranglehold on the Portuguese topflight after clinching their 27th league title and third in a row following a 2-0 away win against Pacos de Ferreira on Sunday.
Argentine playmaker Lucho Gonzalez converted a 23rd minute penalty while Colombia’s Jackson Martinez double the lead in the second half to give Porto their 14th crown from the last 20 seasons.
Porto ended the campaign one point clear of second-placed Benfica who they beat in a crucial top-of-the-table clash last weekend.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Barcelona pay record sum for 30-year-old Mathieu
- 2The Shark bites: Nibali sprints to victory in stage 18 of the Tour de France
- 3Football: Japan appoints Javier Aguirre as new manager
- 4LA Lakers signing Lin holds training camp in Taiwan
- 5‘Never give up’: euronews talks to potential Invictus Games competitors
Wires > Sport
- 09:12 CET Time was right for Liverpool to sell Suarez – owner
- 03:58 CET Australia surprise themselves as supersuit record beaten
- 03:56 CET No turning back for expansive Brumbies in Sydney
- 01:16 CET No more ‘cut-throat’ grand tours, says Wiggins
- 00:58 CET Pinto quits Costa Rica after ‘sleeping with enemy’
- 00:57 CET Pinto quits Costa Rica after ‘sleeping with enemy’
- 00:35 CET Wenger bemoans Arsenal’s pre-season tour schedule
- 23:53 CET Hamilton hopes to agree new deal this year