07/06/13 14:34 CET
Belgian Liberal MEP Guy Verhofstadt and French Green MEP Daniel Cohn Bendit are the joint winners of the 2013 European Leader of Year award.
Verhofstadt, a former prime minister of Belgium, picked up the prize, jointly organised by Euronews and the European Executive Council.
“All sorts of Eurosceptics, nationalists and populists are getting all the media attention right now and, there are a lot of people who think that they represent the majority of public opinion in Europe,” he told Euronews.
“I don’t think that’s right at all I think the majority of people know very well that if we want economic growth in the future, as well as jobs for young people, we need to have more Europe.”
The two winners were chosen by a jury of journalists, academics and members of civil society.
Former Italian premier Mario Monti won last year’s prize.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU leaders back aid for Ukraine as differences emerge over what to do about Russia
- 2Ukraine tops agenda at European Popular Party congress
- 3EU suspends talks on visa-free travel with Russia and threatens further sanctions
- 4EU’s top energy official downplays risk of fresh Russian gas dispute
- 5Water test for European Citizens’ Initiative