America’s Serena Williams kept her composure to outclass defending champion Maria Sharapova in straight sets in the final of the French Open in Paris on Saturday.
The world number one, who won her first title at Roland Garros in 2002 against her sister Venus, looked in great shape and dominated her opponent from the outset, eventually winning through 6-4 6-4 in 1 hour and 46 minutes.
This was Williams’ 16th career Grand Slam title, moving her two behind tennis legends Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 21:01 CET Silver for Wiggins as Meares takes historic gold
- 20:43 CET Shark Nibali goes in for the kill in final mountain stage
- 20:42 CET Banned Suarez could make Barca debut in El Clasico
- 20:01 CET Alistair Brownlee beats brother to gold
- 19:29 CET Coach and captaincy changes in Zimbabwe shake-up
- 18:37 CET Games-Commonwealth rugby sevens gives Rio a glimpse of future
- 18:24 CET Peerless Nibali all but seals Tour with stage win
- 18:23 CET Marussia appoint U.S. driver Rossi as F1 reserve