America’s Serena Williams kept her composure to outclass defending champion Maria Sharapova in straight sets in the final of the French Open in Paris on Saturday.
The world number one, who won her first title at Roland Garros in 2002 against her sister Venus, looked in great shape and dominated her opponent from the outset, eventually winning through 6-4 6-4 in 1 hour and 46 minutes.
This was Williams’ 16th career Grand Slam title, moving her two behind tennis legends Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 23:02 CET Firestone a perfect place for Tiger to salvage season
- 22:47 CET Malaysian Formula E race postponed at PM’s request
- 22:15 CET Premier League to use vanishing spray from this season
- 22:14 CET Lukaku leaves Chelsea to join Everton in £28 million deal
- 22:09 CET I need a hug, says Scolari on Gremio return
- 21:55 CET Argentine FA chief, FIFA executive Grondona dies
- 19:44 CET Nadal withdraws from Toronto, Cincinnati with injury
- 18:52 CET U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark